The BTOM was developed by NDARC and NSW Health as a standard treatment sector outcome monitoring system.
The version in NADAbase has been modified to suit all services in the non government sector and treatment specific questions have not been included.
The online version has 4 pages and includes the:
- Severity of Dependence Scale
- Blood Borne Virus Risk Scale
- Poly-drug use Scale
- Occasions of drug use Scale
- Psychological Wellbeing Scale
- Social Functioning Scale
Advantages of the online BTOM
Some of the advantages of using the online BTOM are:
- The BTOM and the MDS data are in the same place
- Scoring is automatically calculated
- Each treatment episode can have more than one BTOM attached.
Before you can add a BTOM, the client record must have an open treatment episode.
Entering the BTOM
To start entering the BTOM information, click the BTOM tab which is found within the Client Episode Page.
Select the New BTOM button, then select New BTOM and you will be taken to Page 1 of 4 of the BTOM Questionnaire.
Page 1 contains the Severity of Dependence scores and the Blood Borne Virus Risk scale.
- The BTOM starts with Q11. This is because the first 10 questions relate to MDS data and this information has already been captured in the client’s treatment episode details.
- Enter the date of the BTOM in the dd/mm/yyyy format. The date cannot be a date in the future.
- On completing Page 1 select Page 2 from the tabs across the top of the page.
Page 2 assesses the client’s drug, alcohol and tobacco use over the last month.
- To answer the questions on this page, enter a numerical value into the text boxes.
- Click the Page 1 tab and then click the Save button to save the information entered in Page 2.
Page 3 assesses the client’s psychosocial health, over the last 3 months.
- Select Yes or No from the drop down list to answer the questions.
- Click the Page 1 tab and then click the Save button to save the information entered in Page 3.
Page 4 assesses the client’s social functioning
- Select the most appropriate answer to the question, from the drop down list.
- Click the Page 1 tab and then click the Save button to save the information entered in Page 4.
Editing the BTOM
To edit the information in the BTOM, select a client and then an episode from the Episodes Screen.
Click the BTOM tab and then click the Edit button next to the BTOM date you wish to update.
Make the required updates to BTOM items and then go to Page 1 and click the Save button to save the changes.
Viewing the BTOM Scores
To view the BTOM scores, select a client and the episode to which the BTOM you want to view is attached. Click on the BTOM button and select Score against the date of the BTOM you want to view.
Further information on the administration and scoring of the BTOM can be found in The Brief Treatment Outcomes Measure: Opioid Maintenance Pharmacotherapy Manual (Lawrinson, Copeland and Indig, 2003), NDARC Technical Report No 156 (available online).